Become a SWOP Member!
SWOP’s Mission: Working to empower our communities to realize racial and gender equality and social and economic justice. La misión de SWOP: Trabajando para empodedar nuestras comunidades para lograr la igualdad racial y de género, y para justicia sociales y económicos.
What do we ask of our members?
- To agree with the Mission Statement of SWOP.
- To participate in the work of the organization, which can include signing petitions, contacting elected officials, or attending community meetings.
- To nominate and elect members to serve on SWOP’s Board of Directors. To maintain your voting rights as a SWOP member, you must attend 1 out of 3 SWOP General Membership meetings a year, as well as attend 3 board-eligible activities. These may include community events or volunteer opportunities.
- To work to further your own leadership abilities.
- To recruit new members for the organization and help them learn more about SWOP.
- To keep informed about SWOP’s work, meeting times and locations.
- To respect SWOP members, Board of Directors, staff, and all communities in which the organization is active.
What are my rights as a member?
- To actively participate in the work, decisions, and activities.
- To vote and to be heard.
- To participate in discussions & decisions about our communities.
- To participate in training in leadership, media, public speaking, and other skills development.
- To have access to current, relevant, and adequate information in order to make decisions.
- To run for the Board of Directors after being a member in good standing for a minimum of two years.